Ever wondered what 600 kids does on social media? I have the answer!
I was invited to a school here in Stockholm to talk about social medias opportunities, since that is what I focus on. I am so sick and tired of the medias picture of internet and social media when it comes to kids using. Net hate, bullying, suicide, stress, gaming etc etc. I am NOT saying that those things doesn´t excists, but we have to show the positive sides too. How could we cheer and encourage the positivte sides if we´re not aware of them?
I started the day with meeting the whole school, over 600 students in two lectures. After the lecture I sent them back to their classrooms with their teachers where they got some questions to answer, discuss and write them down – or however they wanted to illustrate their answers.
1. What social media do you use, and what do you do there?
2. What positive/negative things are there in social media?
3. What responsibility do you have on internet? And what can you do if someone gets bullied?
4. What could your parents/teachers do to learn more about social media and to understand you more?
5. How are you being critic to the source? Do you believe in everything you see/read?
I got over 100 papers back with some really inspired drawings, ideas and thoughts. I sat and gathered all the information from every single paper, to later meet their parents and talked with them about the results. This was a really fun and inspiring way to work, I love to interact and envolve people, not just to stand and speaking for one hour and then I´m gone.
Here are some of their thoughts and ideas:
Social media platforms
Instagram, Kik, Snapchat, ask.fm, Periscope, Youtube, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Skype, ooVoo, 9gag, Viber, momio, vine, musicali.ly, Minecraft, Roblox, Google, Wikipedia, Netflix
What do I do?
– Talk to friends, family, cousins, extended family both in other countries and at home.
– Listen to music
– Following celebrities
– Viewing images, like and follow each other
– Play games
– Uses filters
– Make free calls and text messages
– Check out funny clips
– Music Videos
– Do not follow, or stalk your children
– Talk, be curious, ask
– Start with yourself, how are you online?
– Get your own social media that we use to understand us more
– Adults should understand that it is not possible to pause games anymore
– Parents has to understand that we not only use mobiles for social media but also to get information about the world’s problems
– Look at the children’s text messages
– Create rules! Talk about what to watch out for example not to provide personal information, how should we behave online, what is cool / not cool
– Ask who we’re talking to right now and if someone makes us feel uncomfortable
– Trust us
– Stay away
– We understand that they have not grown up with the Internet and social media, rely more on us and we tell if something would happen
– Judge not, try to put yourself in the child’s situation and feelings
– Ask how we feel in the morning
– Show that you too have been young too, tell your story
– Allow the child to come to you, but also show that you are there for them
– Help us, but also give us your own time
– Try different apps that we use
– Let your child / youth show you how an app works
– Meet new people
– Keeps me updated on what is happening in the world
– Keep in contact with friends and family, far and near
– New cultures and learn languages
– it is fun!
– We get a chance to dare to say what we think and feel
– Easier to talk about difficult things via the Internet
– Easier to spread the message of love
– New friends
– You can find a new hobby
– You can find a new job
– Tell our opinions
– Keep an eye on trends and get inspiration such as fashion and fitness
– Get girls
– Get more likes and followers
– Documenting your life, memories
– Take part in other people’s lives
– One’s image is online forever
– Fake accounts
– Hard to notify if one is anonymous
– Getting filmed without permission
– Easier to spread hatred, false rumors
– We may get the wrong picture of the world
– Searching attention in the wrong way, show challenging images
– You can be hacked
– It can be persecuted
– You can be bullied
– Pedophiles can contact you
– Online bullying
– You feel uncomfortable with their body / appearance
– Comparing yourself with others and do not feel good or adequate
– You do not go out as often
– We are becoming more antisocial
– Create a false identity
– Everything found there on the internet forever
– Ask if you want to be in the picture and get permission
– Breaking contact with the one shitty
– Like each image and give nice comments
– Do not give attention to those who hate
– Trying to stop bullying!
– Do not force someone into something they do not want, such as show themselves naked
– Listen to parents, not to use ipad, mobile long
– Spread postiva comments
– Do not offend, förlämpa or threaten anyone.
– If I write something lousy, I must take responsibility and apologize
– Do not give out their tasks wherever you live
– Understand the impact it can have
– We do not know myckte about our rights and responsibilities, but we should not offend anyone
– Do not hurt the soul
When someone / self is exposed:
– Police report, report on the website.
– Stand up for those who are vulnerable and show support. Show that it is wrong to be shitty
– Talk to the counselor and tell me what happened
– If there is a serious threat, hatred or violation, you can notify the police accompanied by an adult
– Save evidence, conversations, images, screenshots
– Talk to another adult, you can call BRIS – Children’s Rights in Society
– Join together in a group chat to the bully and say STOP, it is not OK
– We have a friend who has suffered and she was very sad and can not cope with life more (class 7a, Elizer, Teddy, Burak, Domian)
– Check from different sources
– Do not think only of what a person says
– Common sense, it seems unreal, it is 99% percent sure that it is so
– Use Google image search to see where the image came from
– Check who is the sender – who is the most reliable, Aftonbladet or any website with the strange name type gilla.se
– Read the books too
– There are always multiple perspectives on things
– Is it factually or more values, beliefs and thoughts
– Is a blog more credible than a fact page, or a book from school
– Listen to the teacher